Sunday, 19 August 2012

Opinions - Deserved of Respect?


The definition of Opinion as according to my word bible:

Opinion: (n) Personal belief or judgment

Personal to mean:

Personal: (adj) Individual or private; of the body eg personal hygine; (of a remark etc) offensive

And judgement:

Judgment: (n) Opinion reached after careful thought; verdict of a judge; ability to appraise critically; consider something to be the case.

All too often are our freedom of expression and opinion (Article 19) and freedom of thought (Article 18) used to justify some of the biggest blunders of humanity; Racism, sexism, religion, homophobia, just to name a few (I place religion in this satirically: I know that this is the real cause of these blunders.) But is this right? What does it mean to hold an opinion? Should we really respect one another’s opinions?
Of course we should, in theory. But a theory is nothing without evidence, so let’s get some. I’ve already stated the specific human rights that this particular freedom is protected by, but freedoms are not entitlements. They have responsibilities. Article 30 states:
Article 30
Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.
But what does that mean?
Look at how happy she is!
How could you be against that?

Let’s say I wanted to put every woman in the kitchen, and disallow them any opportunity of freedom, because that was my opinion. This would not be protected in the freedom of expression, because it affects a woman’s freedom of peace from torture.
Article 5
No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.
Or even freedom from slavery
Article 4
No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.
But what if this particular opinion is a religious belief? (supposing I could provide evidence that this was my religion, like an old book, perhaps, or maybe my own interpretation, my opinion of a religion even.) Once again, this is entirely irrelevant. I am depriving a woman of her rights, therefore my right has been revoked. So, straight away, this idea is debunked. But of course, I’m using such exaggerated examples that I couldn’t possibly be wrong, not to mention I constructed these to suit my needs. Let’s look at something a little more credible. Opinion in general can be as varied and substantial as the human mind can muster. You might even be safe to assume that the human mind made them up! That’s an opinion you would be free to hold.
So what would be an example of a sustainable opinion? What is it that these rights protect? Well, so long as no ones rights are infringed, anything you like! You can hold the opinion that someone’s outfit is distasteful, so long as you don’t insist they wear something different. You can think that Justin Beiber is a quality choice of music, so long as you don’t play it in my presence, because of Article 5. You are even free to chose whatever religion you wish! So long as you don’t expect me, or anyone else, to also follow this religion, so long as your religion doesn’t infringe on other rights (such as freedom from discrimination and the ilk) and bear in mind that should you make the change from belief to fact, you open yourself up to scrutiny by others. As in, if you tell me you know for a fact that God exists, I am free to question you on the evidence. Especially if you insinuate that I will burn in hell for not believing in him... Essentially, you’re free to believe what you want, to think what you want, and do what you want, within question. This is the very important distinction. There are limits to what you can do, as there are other people in the world, people who don’t care about what you think, just as much as you don’t care about them. And it’s their right to do so.
But the question stands... Should we respect one anothers opinion? It’s all well and good saying you’re entitled to have an opinion, but respecting someone’s opinion is an entirely separate matter. What does it mean to respect someone’s opinion? Respect to me is to value it on an equal level as my own,  The dictionary definition is as follows:
Respect: (n) Consideration: Deference or esteem; point or aspect; reference or relation eg with respect to (v) treat with esteem; show consideration for
With esteem meaning:
Esteem: (n) High regard (v) think highly of; judge or consider
And consideration to mean:
Consider (v) regard as; think about; be considerate of; discuss; look at ... considerate (adj) thoughtful towards others ... consideration (n) careful though; fact that should be considered; thoughtfulness; payment for a service. Considering (prep) taking (a specified fact) into account.
I think I need this T-shirt.
This to me all points in one direction... mainly. If I am to respect your opinion, I must consider your opinion in high regard, carefully think and discuss it, with you or others, before I can consider myself respectful to your opinion. But if I am to hold it in high regard, it must stand up to my scrutiny, otherwise, I cannot respect it. This would be incorrect of me, by definition.  By asserting your opinion, you are opening it up to analysis to whether it is a worthy opinion, especially if you wish for it to be respected. This is part of society. And should you wish to be included in society, well… That’s up to you. But if you do, then you need to follow the rules of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment