Monday, 30 July 2012

It's common sense!

I don't encounter many snakes.
It's probably common sense not to deal with them.
I still would.
Here's a little thing you might not know about me... I don't have total awareness of 'common sense'. I'm not sure why. It could be the minor level of autism I have, it could be the fact that I don't massively care about people, perhaps my upbringing... Who knows! But I don't. I'd go almost as far to say, common sense is stupid.

Now, this might sound a bit... Off. But it's true! Common sense implies shared knowledge, something that everyone should intrinsically know, and those who don't know, are somehow flawed, but the only thing I know of that humanity shares, is that nothing is the same in everyone. To imply 'common sense' is to imply that your reality is the same as the other persons. But it never is. Would you tell a blind man that it's common sense to look both ways in the street? Of course not. His reality is different. But then, that makes him uncommon, doesn't it? That's not very nice equality. That's singling him out, isn't it? Would it not be the same for any other 'non-similarity'?

Take, for example (again) someone who is afraid of cats. For them, it's common sense to avoid them. I love cats though. I wouldn't avoid a cat, even if it didn't like me. Or for one last example, God. Now, believing in God, as you probably know by now, is not something I do, (just No-God, but come on, he's the source of everything! Or she...) But judging by statistics in the world, I would have to concede that believing in God is something the majority do. Would that make it common sense? It's certainly common knowledge. So, if believing in God is common sense, is it right? Probably not. Popularity has never counted for anything worth while (I say that, acutely aware of democracy) and yet, it's still common!

Common sense is only worth as much as where you're from. So stop it. Just stop it. It's silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment